Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain


Monday, March 15, 2010

Discount Vacations - Go on two for the price of one!


I'm a travel junkie. I love traveling, love lying on the beach, and love seeing new places. If I could travel every month, I would be the happiest person ever. Being on a tight budget makes you get creative when you've been bitten by the travel bug.

First, it all depends on what you are looking for in traveling. If you have your heart set on a specific resort, location, date, room or large number of people going with you then it will be harder to find a bargain. Luckily there are usually only 2 of us traveling, but sometimes 4.

We've had great success with booking "last minute" deals. Usually I know if I am going to go down south that year, so can have some money set aside. We usually have a time frame we'd like to travel, such as mid February, and plan for that. A month or two before, we start looking for deals. There are so many options! A number of times I've taken vacations for $1000.00 per person (all inclusive ,including taxes) that have cost someone who didn't book last minute $1700.00. We were there for the same days, the same type of room, etc. The only difference was, I booked the end of Jan, and they booked in October. They knew they would get that resort, and I found a resort with an opening.

I've just discovered discount cruising. I have been on a cruise before, years ago with my parents for Christmas. So this time I decided to research into the cruise companies to see who offers what. I've found that Royal Caribbean has a policy that if you book at one rate, and find the price for your cruise has gone down (unless it says for new bookings only), you can get the cruise at the lowered rate!

We've recently booked our first ever "large vacation", We booked a cruise about 10 months before sailing. I check the rate everyday. A few weeks after we booked, our cruise price was dropped by $500.00 per person! That saved us $1000.00 in one simple phone call. Now they tell us that it most likely will be lowered again, since we are still 6 months out from our sailing date. I find this new policy to be incredible. I've seen some cruise last minute deals, and they are a phenomenal rate. As long as this cruise doesn't sell out, we can get it for the lowest rate advertised, up to a few days before sailing. I'm loving this policy. I'm told Celebrity Cruise has the same policy, but I don't know that for certain as I've never looked.

This move on Royal Caribbean's part most likely just increased our cruising trips! I love when large companies give a break to their customers!

There are some really great travel companies out there that sell off last minute vacations. If you do a quick Google search for some in your area, I'm sure you can find some good deals!

No comments:

Post a Comment